See below for a list of useful resources related to welfare benefits including links to articles, factsheets and websites that may help you deal with your issue.

General welfare benefits advice


You can use an online tool to find out if you may be entitled to welfare benefits.

A benefits checker can quickly tell you if you are entitled to any benefits and give you basic information about what support is available. You can then use a benefits calculator to find out your full entitlement, how much you might get and how to claim.

Benefits checker

This tool is designed to give you quick information about what may be available to you. You will be asked a few questions about your circumstances.

DWP benefits checker tool

Benefits calculators

Benefits calculators will confirm what benefits you’re entitled to based on your circumstances. Before starting you will need to have accurate information about your:

  • savings
  • income, including your partner’s (from payslips, for example)
  • existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)
  • outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)
  • council tax bill

Benefits calculators can only be used by over 18s and will not give accurate information for prisoners, students, non-British or Irish citizens, those living outside the UK, or those living in residential care or nursing homes.

We recommend using one of these benefits calculators:

Benefits relevant to your situation

Types of benefits

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit you can claim to help with the extra costs of disability.

It is made up of two parts, a ‘daily living’ part and a ‘mobility’ part. You can claim one or both of these parts depending on your personal situation.

To get PIP you don’t need to have worked or paid National Insurance and it doesn’t matter what your income is, if you have any savings or you’re working.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is money for people who have limited capability for work because of their sickness or disability but do not get Statutory Sick Pay.

There are two types:

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • contributory/New Style Employment and Support Allowance

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance is being replaced by Universal Credit. Whether you can claim one or both types of ESA depends on your circumstances. Find out who can get ESA and how to claim here.

Step by step guidance on filling in an ESA Capability for Work questionnaire

Universal Credit (UC)

Universal Credit (UC) is a benefit you can claim if you are on a low income and have savings under £16,000.

You can claim UC if you are in or out of work and it includes extra amounts for children, disability and rent costs.

You do not need to have paid National Insurance contributions to qualify for UC.

Legacy benefits

There are six legacy benefits that are being replaced by UC. Most people are not able to make new claims for these benefits however there are certain exceptions. You can find information on each of them here.

Challenging decisions

Money management

MoneyHelper has a number of tools and calculators to help you manage your money.


Information guides and factsheets from Age UK.

Comprehensive list of benefits factsheets from Disability Rights UK.

Latest news

Exterior NBAC main office

NBAC restructures to make advice charity fit for the future

By trustees taking this action, they have created a new structure to make NBAC a strong, sustainable and resilient organisation going forward.

NBAC and Modular staff with laptop showing advice tool

Online Advice Tool launched

A new online tool designed to increase access to advice has been launched by North Bristol Advice Centre

Older people learning digital skills

Helping older people learn digital skills to reconnect with the world

Schoolchildren aren’t the only ones who need access to the internet.